I LOVE to read … I especially love to read non-fiction, self-improvement, make life better type of books. So my list may not be for everyone …
Below, I have begun compiling a list of some of my favourite reads. Please be sure to add to the list via the comments if you feel that others would benefit from your additions.
Recent Reads What one reads obviously matches their current life-state. As you may know, Big M is three-years old now. Much of my recent reading has been regarding life with her.
- 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 212 by Thomas W. Phelan (This one was recommended to me by a fellow mom).
- The 5 Love Languages Of Children by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell
- Love and Logic Magic For Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years by Jim Fay and Charles Fay
- Positive Discipline: The Classic Guide to Helping Children Develop Self-Discipline, Responsibility, Cooperation, and Problem-Solving Skills by Jane Nelsen
I have found that “discipline” books generally are not a one-size fits all fix. I tend to take little “seeds” from each one to craft my own discipline system (if that makes sense). Each of these are worth checking out though.
Not-So-Recent, but Still Resonant Reads
- I’m Okay, You’re a Brat!: Setting the Priorities Straight and Freeing You From the Guilt and Mad Myths of Parenthood by Susan Jeffers (I found this one particularly helpful when I was having anxiety about going back to work after I had Big M).
- Brain Rules for Baby (Updated and Expanded): How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five by John Medina (I actually read this one while pregnant with Big M – loved it).
During Pregnancy Reads
- HypnoBirthing, Fourth Edition: The natural approach to safer, easier, more comfortable birthing – The Mongan Method, 4th Edition by Marie F. Mongan
- Your Pregnancy Week by Week, 8th Edition by Dr. Gracie Curtis & Judith Schuler
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff, & Sandee E. Hathaway
The last two are just plain good general reference books for during pregnancy. I pored over them during my first pregnancy, and barely touched them during my second. I am sure some of you can relate 🙂
- 7 Minute Marriage Solution, The: 7 Things to Start! 7 Things to Stop! 7 Minutes That Matter Most! by Stephen Arterburn
- What to Expect the First Year: Third Edition by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff, & Sandee E. Hathaway (I still like to browse through this one once in awhile with Little M in mind).
Currently Listening to
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White (Big M and I have recently started listening to this audiobook in the car).
Interested in Reading
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- Intentional Parenting: Autopilot Is for Planes by Sissy Goff, David Thomas, and Melissa Trevathan
- No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with Your Kids by Harley A. Robbart
1 thought on “I Love to Read”
Thanks so much for this! I don't have ANY books right now and am quickly realizing that the internet is NOT the place to go for information all of the time ;).